Monday, December 3, 2007

Snow School & Scott's Hut Delta Trip

Sorry for the delay in posting. I told myself that I'd post once a week whether I had anything to say or not. Well, I do have lots to talk about, but this cubicle job has made me L A Z Y!!! Things are picking up in my work now though, and it seems like I'm pretty busy most of the day doing odd jobs.

Snow School was very interesting and I had a good time. I learned how to make a quinzi (sp?) hut and how to build a snow wall for protection from the winds. The winds do get pretty brutal down here since there's not a whole lot to protect you from them, especially on the ice shelf...
So this is how our day went at snow camp: We sat in a class room and went over some basics before they trucked us out to the ice shelf. To be continued... (I'm too hungery to go on)

Okay! Now with some cookies in my stomach... This last week I went on a Delta trip to Cape Evans. A Delta is a huge cartoonish looking vehicle used down here to transport people around on the sea ice and ice shelf. So, out at Cape Evans is where Scott wintered over with his people back in ??? A long time ago. His hut is still there, with an attached stable where they housed the horses they brought down here. They had the horse names stenciled on the wall where each one went in the stalls. It was kinda creepy. I think they ended up eatting their horses. In a part of the entrance to the hut was a big stack of seal blubbler. It was kinda warming up on the day I was there, even thought the wind was crazy, and the seal fat was starting to kind of flow. Pretty smelly too. Here are some pictures of the interior of the hut: there was a kitchen area, bunk beds, a very large dining table and chairs in the middle of the hut, lots of other things that I'll have to tell you about later...

6 comments:

Opine-ER RN said...

me no get no pics! where me pics?

dawn said...

Keep your pants on RN! I'm getting to it... The bandwidth down here sucks! We are in Antarctica you know, the harshest continent on earth... :) Pictures will be posted shortly.

Opine-ER RN said...

So? I'm in Idaho, the most conservative state in the country with a gay senator! Suppose I could wait awhile...

Tanley said...

Pictures? WHERE?!
So what kind of odd jobs are you doing down there?
We would also like to know how you THANKSGIVING was down in the ice!
So, not much to do? What ARE you doing?! you know we have to give you a hard time, right?

MUCH LOVE
jed and tan

Unknown said...

December 20

I don't know what else to say, except that Dawn Marie is an original. There aren't any girls that I know who have done so many different things. A colorful person for sure. How many women do you know who knit mittens and hats, can saddle and ride a horse, mow lawns all summer to earn a living, dye beautiful fabrics, guide a raft down the Salmon river in Idaho, make a shelter in the antarctica to survive, cook for eight people three meals a day for a week, and be a darn good secretary? Oh and make a moca that is out of this world! Yep, that's our daughter, a can do girl!

dawn said...

My mummer loves me... :) -d