Sunday, October 28, 2007

McMurdo the Beautiful





Things are going really well down here on the ice. I had my first day of firsts the other day. I hiked up Observation Hill and took some pictures, went to the green house and took some pictures, then found a sauna in one of the dorms to use (sorry no picutres). This last Saturday night we had a Halloween party. I got dressed up like a gnome, sort of. There were a lot of crazy costumes at the party. The costume contest lasted about an hour because there were about 100 people who wanted to be judged... not me!


I need to have another day of firsts... like hiking out to Hut Point or Castle Rock or taking a nap or reading a book in the green house. I'm going to be scheduling myself for Snow School sometime in November (hopefully later in the month when it's warmer). Snow School teaches you how to dig a snow cave and I don't know what else, but it is an overnight trip and you get to sleep in the snow cave you dig... Don't worry, despite the weather warming up, there's about 100 feet of snow (so I'm told) that will be there to dig and sleep in.

This here is a picture I took of Mt. Erebus (in the background) and Castle Rock (in the foreground) when I was on top of Ob Hill.

6 comments:

Tanley said...

Yeah! New picts! Your knome costume was cute, I bet you got a lot of compliments...did you take picts of the costume contest?
I love the picts with the mt. in the background too. Do you feel like you have everything you need to be warm down there? I noticed the pict you sent when on top of Ob. Hill that you weren't wearing any gloves...not so cold?

Mavis said...

you make a wonderful gnome, dawn. you should photoshop that picture into a christmas card. luv*

The Chuckman said...

Coldest golf course ever! *regarding picture #1 and the flag therein*

Tanley said...

Is your nose doing better?

Tanley said...

So, what are your plans for Thanksgiving?

Tanley said...

Hey Dawny!
I hope you had a wonderful (although quite chilly) Thanksgiving there at McMurdo!
Love ya,
Tan