Friday, December 21, 2007

Speak the truth...

this is what my Yogi Tea of the afternoon says. The truth is, that today I feel a bit like a zombie. After going to the Waste Barn and listening to some amazing acoustic music, I felt compelled to avoid bed for three more hours till two in the morning... not doing anything but curling up in a chair drifting in and out of sleep in the lounge with Rush Hour 2 and 3 playing. It's a good thing that today I don't have much for mental needs happening, just answering the phone and finding people to go move things around town with heavy equipment. Easy enough.

It doesn't feel like today is only two days before Christmas. I don't ususally have much for hopes in the way of holidays, but I had some fleeting thoughts that this Christmas might include a bit of romance, but alas, there is not much to be found in McMurdo these days. I should say, this is not the reason that I came down to the ice, but it does seem to be a omnipresent theme down here and it is hard not to get sucked in with the rest of the population vortex.

So there it is. It's muddy, windy, and yes, dusty too. A storm just blew in... the skies are over cast, two fat seals are hanging out on the ice pier. I have one hopeful Christmas present hiding on the top of my closet behind a curtain waiting to be opened on Christmas day... I must confess, especially since I have the title of my post 'speak the truth', that I did receive another gift in the mail from one of my wonderful lawn customers... and I already opened it (thank you Skinners!). So, I started my Christmas cheer a little early. Now I have Christmas socks to wear for the big day! Oh! and now that I think about it, I did recieve a cubicle calendar from my aunt and uncle in Virginia of beautiful pictures of Washington DC. I am going to have to go visit them someday...

Thank you for all your warm thoughts and care packages. I feel loved.

3 comments:

Mavis said...

that's it. i'm mailing you a present. you won't get it for a month, but it can't be helped. any requests? some cowgirl chocolates? hot and spicy?

stay away from those boys you irresistible, short, blonde thing. and don't freeze to death.

*love

Tanley said...

HI Dawny!
I have tried twice to leave comment for you with no success for whatever reason.
I hope you had a great Christmas down there on the ice. You didn't mention too much about any festivities etc.
You shouldn't fret...you will be getting another package from. It's a nice way to spread the holiday cheer out a while and lessen the possibile effects of post holiday gloom.
Hope all is well and you are still enjoying yourself down there!!
We can't wait until you are back!

~Tan

Tanley said...

Hey, by-the-way...what are you going to be doing to ring in the New Year!?